Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The first female democratically elected Deputy Governor in Nigeria, Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, has raised an alarm that her life is under threat over the election of former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the President-Elect. She said she is preparing her relocation from the country as she earlier promised to do if Tinubu wins the election.
2. A seven-storey building under construction on Banana Island, Lagos State, has collapsed, trapping several workers. The Lagos Territorial Head of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the incident in a brief update Wednesday evening.
3. There was pandemonium yesterday when some state chairmen of the Labour Party (LP) chased the Lamidi Apapa-led faction of the National Working Committee (NWC) away from the national headquarters of the party in Abuja.
4. National Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Samuel Anyanwu, yesterday, emerged the consensus candidate of the party for the November 11, governorship election in Imo State. The primary election was held at the party’s secretariat in Owerri on Wednesday.
5. A former Borno State Commissioner for Poverty Alleviation and State House of Assembly member-elect for Chibok Local Government Area, Dr. Nuhu Clark has passed away in India after a protracted illness. According to a family source, he had been hospitalised for months before he passed away on Tuesday evening in India.
6. The Kano State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has filed a petition before a Kano Governorship Election Petition Tribunal challenging the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for declaring Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) winner of the March 18 election.
7. An umbrella body of Nigerian medical doctors and dentists practising outside the country, the Diaspora Medical Associations, has petitioned the National Assembly over the bill seeking to compel medical and dental graduates to render five-year compulsory services within Nigeria before being granted full licence to practise.
8. Two persons said to be members of the Awo Hall Executives have been arrested by the police following the death of a 500-Level student of the Civil Engineering Department at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Ahize Okoli. Okoli was reportedly beaten to death by a mob on suspicion that he stole a mobile phone.
9. A 14-year-old secondary school student was reportedly killed while an unknown number of people were reportedly swept away in a flood that followed a downpour recorded in parts of Sagamu in Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State on Tuesday.
10. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Governorship Primary Election Committee yesterday declared Governor Douye Diri as the party’s candidate for the November 11, 2023 governorship election in Bayelsa State.