Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Returning Officer for the Adamawa State governorship election, Prof Mohammed Mele, on Tuesday, declared Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, the winner of the state governorship poll. Fintiri scored 430,861 votes to beat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Aisha Dahiru, popularly known as Binani, who amassed 398,788 votes.
2. The Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba ordered that the Commissioner of Police on election duty in Adamawa State, Mohammed Barde, withdraw from the state with immediate effect. The IGP also ordered that the CP in charge of Gombe State, Etim Equa, should immediately proceed to Adamawa state for election security of the keenly contested supplementary governorship poll.
3. The leadership crisis rocking the Labour Party deepened on Tuesday as it suspended a factional leader, Mr Lamidi Apapa, its National Deputy Chairman (South) and some other officials. The party also appointed acting executive members according to a statement signed by Ms Ladi Iliya, National Deputy Chairperson and Mr Kenedy Ahanotu, Deputy National Secretary.
4. The governor-elect of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has apologised to his teeming supporters for what he described as “psychological trauma” brought upon them by the events that characterised the supplementary poll in the state.
5. A police sergeant, identified as Ahmed Ali, has been shot by soldiers on duty in Benisheikh town, Borno State, after his team intercepted a vehicle belonging to their colleague and found it loaded with Indian hemp. Locals and security sources said that the incident happened at the town’s entry checkpoint, around 10 am, on Monday.
6. The Gombe State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday expelled Senator Muhammad Danjuma Goje from the party over alleged anti-party activities. The party at the ward level had last month constituted a panel to probe the alleged anti-party activities by the senator during the 2023 elections.
7. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has resolved to write the Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba, to investigate and prosecute the suspended Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Adamawa State, Barr Hudu Yunusa Ari, over unlawful declaration of Aishatu Dairu Ahmed, well known as Binani, as the winner of the state governorship election.
8. Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja yesterday stopped the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, from suspending the outgoing governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike as a member of the party over alleged anti-party activities.
9. The World Health Organisation has said the violence that broke out in Sudan on Saturday has claimed 270 people and injured 2,600 so far. The Director General of the organisation, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, said this during a virtual press briefing on Tuesday.
10. The discovery of a deceased stowaway in the wheel well of a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 777 (registered PH-BQM) on Monday has raised questions about how and when the man was able to climb into the aircraft, which originated from Lagos, Nigeria. An investigation has been launched to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.